Discover French Video Games
Every month discover and experience first-hand a new video game, in French. La Médiathèque offers free access to a playful, creative and highly stimulating way to discover French language, culture and tech creation. Video Games are a modern way to explore, learn, connect, converse and unwind.
Don’t miss our Kids – Digital Club
Watch the best of French films
La Médiathèque is a place to make new film discoveries and get reacquainted with old favourites, free of charge on site. Choose from 5.000 titles of French films subtitled in French or English from our diverse collection of feature films and documentaries to enjoy on site.
Members can also borrow video games and DVDs to play and watch at home.
Get ready for a whole week (11-16 May) of live reading performances, talks, film and music, celebrating French Literature!
Here is our selection of some of the most acclaimed French authors.
Pas Pleurer, by Lydie Salvayre | Novel
Nouons-nous, by Emmanuelle Pagano | Novel
L’art français de la guerre, by Alexis Jenni | Novel
Les lumières de la Pointe Noire, by Alain Mabanckou | Audiobook
Hiroshima mon amour, by Alain Resnais & Marguerite Duras | Novel
Le plus petit baiser jamais recensé, by Mathias Malzieu | Culturethèque – eBook
Boussole, by Mathias Enard | Culturethèque – eBook
Maylis De Kerangal Reads Excerpts | Podcast – Culturethèque
Camus Revisited – Conversation with Kamel Daoud | Podcast – Culturethèque
OUR HEARTS SKIP A BEAT FOR THIS SELECTION OF DOCUMENTS
Our Cinema specialist’s choices
– La Danseuse, dir. by Stéphanie di Giusto, 2016 | DVD (French subtitles available)
Loïe Fuller was born in the American West. Nothing in her background prepared this robust cowgirl to become the toast of the Parisian cabarets of La Belle Epoque, even less to dance on the stage of the Paris Opera. Then she invents the “Serpentine Dance.” Hidden by yards of floating fabric, her arms extended by two wooden poles, as she moves beneath the stage lights; Loïe becomes a flower, a butterfly, flames, and each night crowds call out for more. But her encounter with Isadora Duncan, a prodigious young dancer hungry for fame and glory, will precipitate the fall of this icon at the beginning of the twentieth century.
– Le Ciel Attendra, dir. by M.-C.Mention-Schaar, 2016 | DVD (French subtitles available)
Seventeen-year-old Sonia nearly carried out something irreparable in order to “guarantee” her family a place in paradise. Sixteen-year-old Mélanie lives with her mother, loves school and her girlfriends, plays the cello and wants to change the world.
She falls in love with a “prince” over the internet. They could be called Anaïs, Manon, Leila, or Clara, and like them, could one day find themselves heading down the road to indoctrination…
Our Children’s Librarians like
– Maman Renard, by Amandine Momenceau | Picture Books
– Un si terrible secret, by Evelyn Brisou-Pellen | Teens’ Novel
– Mercredi, by Anne Bertier | Picture Book
– Océano, by Anouck & Louis Rigaud | Pop-up Book
– Comptines pour Compter by C. Hudrisier | Audio Book
Our Language Students expert recommends
– French Made Simple: Learn to Speak and Understand French Quickly and Easily: Niveau A | Book
– Arsène Lupin gentleman cambrioleur : Niveau A1 | Book & CD
Our Music expert recommends
– Le rock à l’endroit : Une histoire des lieux du rock en France, by Christophe Deniau | Non-Fiction Book
– Ibifornia, by Cassius, 2016 | CD- Electro
– Mammifères, by Christophe Miossec, 2016 | CD – Chanson française
– Doni doni, by Erik Truffaz Quartet. Foufino productions, 2016 | CD – Jazz
– Fearless, by Marian Kaye.Capitol, 2015 | CD- Pop
Our Comic book specialist says
– Culottées 2, by Pénélope Bagieu | Comic Book
– La Légèreté, by Catherine Meurisse | Comic Book
– Par les chemins noirs, by David B. | Comic Book
– Jour J (27) : Les ombres de Constantinople, by Fred Duval & Jean-Pierre Pécau | Comic Book
– Bon baisers d’Iran, by Lenaïc Vilain | Comic Book
What are you reading? Find all the classics and just-released novels from across the Channel on the Instiut’s digital platform Culturethèque.
Discover our range of activities for Kids and find the one that suits you best : here
FOCUS : Celebrating the “Grande Guerre” Centenary (1914-2014)
2014 marks 100 years since the start of the First World War.
This year, visit La Mediatheque, to learn about the First World War through the voices, books and pictures of those who were there.
- André Loez et Nicolas Offenstadt, La Grande Guerre : Carnet du centenaire,2013 (Book)
- Antoine Prost La Grande Guerre expliquée en images, , 2013 (Book)
- Paul Jankowski, Verdun : 21 février 1916, 2013 (Book)
- La ligne de front : une aventure rocambolesque de Vincent Van Gogh
- La guerre des Lulus Tome 1 : La maison des enfants trouvés
- La guerre de Charlie Vol 1
OUR ONLINE CATALOGUE AVAILABLE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE
An extension of our online catalogue makes it available for last generation phones and tablets – all platforms including:
Thanks to this extension you can achieve researches and also browse your online account on YOUR Mobile.
Hurry up to discover our mobile friendly catalogue by connecting yourself to it thanks to our mobile.
Discover Culturethèque in picture motion
Experience Culturethèque with our two new videos dedicated to our digital platform, offering more than 10,000 free French content to all UK residents.