The New Children’s Library is on its way
After several months of planning, the second step of the Renovation will begin shortly. In order to get to work, the collections and shelves need to be moved for safekeeping until the grand re-opening in September 2015. All through the remodelling works, you will be able to find everything for your kids at La Mediatheque (17 Queensberry Place). Over 3.500 Comic books, picture books, DVDs and novels will be always available for you to borrow and to read on site.
From the Mon 1 Jun onwards, you will be able to access this selection from 12pm to 7pm Tue, Wed, Fri & Sat and from 12pm to 6pm on Thu.
Thank you! You were 130 individuals and 8 companies to participate and fund the renovation: we would not be able to launch the project if it was not for you.
Contact us for more information: email@example.com
Focus: Fete de la Musique – for the love of music
The event originated in France in 1982. Since then the idea has spread across the globe. Music is brought out to you. La Médiathèque celebrates with a diverse selection of voices, sounds, stories, and illustrations.
- Vive la Musique, by Les Chats Pelés | Children’s Book
- Toute la musique, by Bruno Giner | Children’s documentary book
- Gainsbourg (The Untold Story of a Musical Icon), dir. by Joan Sfar | DVD
- Musiques numériques : essai sur la vie nomade de la musique, by Joseph Ghosn | Non-fiction book
- La musique de film pour écouter le cinéma, by Gilles Mouëllic | Non-fiction book
- Piscine Molitor, by Hervé Bourhis | Comic Book
- Meeting Lulu Gainsbourg | Culturethèque, Podcast
- ‘The Great Escape’ special: Ibeyi, by Lisa | Culturethèque, Blog
Stay tuned for more French music and artists with Bureau export
Our hearts skip a beat for this selection of documents
Our Cinema specialist’s picks
- Barbicania, dir. by I. Beka & L. Lemoine, 2014 | DVD (in English)
Supported by Fluxus Arts Projects, Franco-British programme for the contemporary arts
From the top of the towers to the underground levels of the arts centre, discover the personalities, lifestyle and architecture that bring the Barbican to life in Ila Bêka and Louise Lemoine’s feature length-film, Barbicania, commissioned for our Constructing Worlds season. An intimate and lively filmic map of our Brutalist masterpiece, explore the timeline below and immerse yourself in a taste of Barbicania.
- Girlhood, dir. by Céline Sciamma, 2014 | DVD (French subtitles available)
Festival de Cannes 2014 – Directors’ Fortnight – Opening Film
For 16-year-old Marieme, life is like a succession of prohibitions. The neighborhood’s censorship, boys ruling the roost, school’s dead end. Her encounter with three liberated girls changes everything. They dance, fight back, talk loudly, laugh at everything. Marieme becomes Vic and joins the gang, to make the most of her youth.
- Les Combattants, dir. by Thomas Cailley, 2014 | DVD (French subtitles available)
Between his buddies and the family firm, Arnaud’s summer is shaping up to be peaceful… Peaceful until his encounter with Madeleine, as beautiful as she is a pain, a block of tense muscles and catastrophic prophecies.
He expects nothing; she’s preparing for the worst.
He lets himself be carried along, laughs a lot. She struggles, runs, swims, hones herself.
Just how far will he follow her, when she’s asked nothing of him?
It’s a love story. Or a story of survival. Or both.
César award for best debut : Thomas Cailley | César award for most promising actor : Kévin Azaïs | Cesar Award for Best Actress : Adèle Haenel
- Sils Maria, dir. by Olivier Assayas, 2014 | DVD (in English, French, German and Swiss German with English subtitles)
At the peak of her international career, Maria Enders (Juliette Binoche) is asked to perform in a revival of the play that made her famous twenty years ago. But back then she played the role of Sigrid, an alluring young girl who disarms and eventually drives her boss Helena to suicide. Now she is being asked to step into the other role, that of the older Helena.
She departs with her assistant (Kristen Stewart) to rehearse in Sils Maria; a remote region of the Alps. A young Hollywood starlet with a penchant for scandal (Chloë Grace Moretz) is to take on the role of Sigrid, and Maria finds herself on the other side of the mirror, face to face with an ambiguously charming woman who is, in essence, an unsettling reflection of herself.
Cesar Award for Best Supporting Actress : Kristen Stewart
Our Language Students expert recommends
- Parlons Mode, français professionel : Niveau A2- B1, by Malika Belghazi | Book
- Word Up, le dico de l’argot bilingue, by Maison des langues | Bilingual dictionnary
- Se présenter : Bien dire essentials : Niveau A1 | Audio book
Our Children’s Librarian loves
- Ernest & Rebecca, l’école des bétises (T.5), by Guillaume Bianco | Comic Book
- Et si je désobéissais?, by Brigitte Labbé & Eric Gasté | Non-Fiction Book
- Enfantillages 2, by Alain Guillaume Aldebert | CD
- La véritable histoire de Marcel, soldat pendant la première guerre mondiale, by Pascale Bouchié | Young Novel
Our Music expert recommand
- J’veux du Souchon et du Voulzy! by Béatrice Pannier, 2015 | Book
- L’aventura, by Sébastien Tellier | 2014 | Elecro – CD
- Slang Tang, by Magma | 2014 | Jazz, CD
Our Comic book specialist says
- Universal War One, L’Intégrale, by Barjam | Comic Book
- Petites coupures à Shioguni, by Florent Chavouet | Comic Book
- Les Vieux Fourneaux by Paul Cauuet | Comic Book
FOCUS : Celebrating the “Grande Guerre” Centenary (1914-2014)
2014 marks 100 years since the start of the First World War.
This year, visit La Mediatheque, to learn about the First World War through the voices, books and pictures of those who were there.
- André Loez et Nicolas Offenstadt, La Grande Guerre : Carnet du centenaire,2013 (Book)
- Antoine Prost La Grande Guerre expliquée en images, , 2013 (Book)
- Paul Jankowski, Verdun : 21 février 1916, 2013 (Book)
- La ligne de front : une aventure rocambolesque de Vincent Van Gogh
- La guerre des Lulus Tome 1 : La maison des enfants trouvés
- La guerre de Charlie Vol 1
OUR ONLINE CATALOGUE AVAILABLE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE
An extension of our online catalogue makes it available for last generation phones and tablets – all platforms including:
Thanks to this extension you can achieve researches and also browse your online account on YOUR Mobile.
Hurry up to discover our mobile friendly catalogue by connecting yourself to it thanks to our mobile.
Discover Culturethèque in picture motion
Experience Culturethèque with our two new videos dedicated to our digital platform, offering more than 10,000 free French content to all UK residents.