Tribute to Cartoons and political cartoonists
- Cabu et Paris, By Cabu & François Cavanna | Book
- Les Abrutis sont parmi nous | Book
- Tonton, Messaline, Judas et les autres… : les mal-aimés de l’histoire, by François Cavanna | Novel
- La Morale, by Georges Wolinski | Book
- Charb n’aime pas les gens, by Charb | Book
- Permis de croquer : un tour du monde du dessin de presse | Book
French Book Sale
Get ready for the biggest FRENCH BOOK SALE of the year.
Novels, Comic Books, DVDs, CDs, Art books, Old editions, Children’s picture books, magazines & many more treasures at drastically reduced prices
Sat 17 Jan 2015 | from 12pm
Here is also your chance to get one of our bespoke bags as you might take home more than you expect!
Our hearts skip a beat for this selection of documents
Our Cinema specialist’s choices
- In the Courtyard, dir. by Piere Salvadori , 2014 | DVD (French Subtitles available)
Antoine is a musician. Now into his forties, he abruptly decides to give up his career. After several days of doing nothing, he gets a job as a concierge. Mathilde lives in the old building in the east of Paris where Antoine finds work. This dynamic and generous retiree spends her time involved in charity work and overseeing the building’s management.
- Into Our Own Hands, dir. by Mariana Otero, 2010 | DVD-Documentary ( French & English Subtitles available)
When their lingerie factory goes bankrupt, the employees–mostly women–attempt to take it over by forming a cooperative. As their project takes shape, they come up against their boss and the reality of the marketplace. Their little enterprise becomes a theater where, in an impish tone, fundamental economic and social issues are played out amidst the bras and panties.
Our Children’s Librarian likes
- La véritable histoire de Marcel, soldat pendant la première guerre mondiale, by Pascale Bouchié| Novel
- Zouk, Une sorcière au grand coeur, by Serge Bloch & Nicolas Hubesch | Novel
- Petites z’escapades : 6 contes et fantaisies de Folimage, by Philippe Granjon | DVD
- Les drapeaux du monde expliqués aux enfants, by Sylvie Bednar | Documentary book
Our Comics specialist says
- Come Prima by Alfred (Best Album Prize Angoulême 2014)
- Ma Révérence by Lupano (Thiller Prize Angoulême 2014)
- L’Arabe du Futur by Riad Sattouf (Official Selection Angoulême 2015)
- Blast T4 by Manu Larcenet (Official Selection Angoulême 2015)
- Last Man de Balak (Official Selection Angoulême 2015)
Our Language Students expert recommends
- French in a Day, by Elisabeth Smith | Audio Book
- French Verb Tenses, by Jeffrey Chamberlain | Book
- French For Primary School Teachers, Angela McLachlan | Book & CD
- La grammaire du français en 40 leçons et 201 activités, by Patrick Guédon | Book & CD
- Perceval, by Chrétien de Troyes | Book & CD
Our Music expert recommends
- Le sacre du printemps. Les Siècles, François-Xavier Roth. Actes Sud, 2014 | CD
Live recording of François-Xavier Roth’s orchestra, les Siècles, performing one of the great scores that Stravinsky composed for the Paris seasons of Diaghilev’s Ballets Russes before the first world war. All played, as is the Siècles way, on instruments that come as close as is possible to those used at their first performances.
- Songs of Time Lost. Piers Faccini, Vincent Ségal. No Format, 2014 | CD
Piers Faccini and his lean guitar picking find a perfect match in his old cellist friend Vincent Segal. The duo drift nonchalantly across genres, covering traditional songs from all over the world as well as offering tunes of their own. The balance of tradition and innovation, intimate vocals and plaintive cello is perfect.
- Live in Concert. Manu Katché. Act Music, 2014 | CD
This warm, engaging and melodic album, recorded at the New Morning club in Paris, catches the sense of power-in-reserve that makes drummer Manu Katché’s live shows irresistible. Simple ballads and soul-anthems glinting with Katché’s delicate bell-sounds and slinky grooves.
News: La Médiathèque’s new bags!
Make your trips to & from the library easier!
Get a sturdy, well-designed canvas bag for your books, CDs, & DVDs, printed with Charlotte DuJour’s special design from La Médiathèque for only £3.
FOCUS : Celebrating the “Grande Guerre” Centenary (1914-2014)
2014 marks 100 years since the start of the First World War.
This year, visit La Mediatheque, to learn about the First World War through the voices, books and pictures of those who were there.
- André Loez et Nicolas Offenstadt, La Grande Guerre : Carnet du centenaire,2013 (Book)
- Antoine Prost La Grande Guerre expliquée en images, , 2013 (Book)
- Paul Jankowski, Verdun : 21 février 1916, 2013 (Book)
- La ligne de front : une aventure rocambolesque de Vincent Van Gogh
- La guerre des Lulus Tome 1 : La maison des enfants trouvés
- La guerre de Charlie Vol 1
OUR ONLINE CATALOGUE AVAILABLE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE
An extension of our online catalogue makes it available for last generation phones and tablets – all platforms including:
Thanks to this extension you can achieve researches and also browse your online account on YOUR Mobile.
Hurry up to discover our mobile friendly catalogue by connecting yourself to it thanks to our mobile.
Discover Culturethèque in picture motion
Experience Culturethèque with our two new videos dedicated to our digital platform, offering more than 10,000 free French content to all UK residents.