Artist in Residence! 12 – 24 Oct
From 12 to 24 October, French Illustrator Delphine Perret will be artist in residence at the Institut français! The author of The Big Bad Wolf and Me, and Pedro and George will be acting as Children’s Ambassador in the run-up to the 2015 South Ken Kids Festival. She will be bringing her wolves, crocodiles, pencils, paint, and a touch of French humor to our brand new Bibliothèque Quentin Blake. You will be able to see her working her magic both at the Bibliothèque Quentin Blake but also at La Médiathèque.
This residence will be closing with an extaordinary live drawing session with a phenomenal duo: Delphine Perret and Benji Davies.
Don’t miss Delphine’s Special workshop!
Wed 14 Oct 2.30 to 4.00pm | Bilingual | 4+ | £5
Get a shiver, not because of the cold but thanks to this spooky selection made by our librarians to celebrate Halloween!
- Whatever the Weather, by Dionysos | Music DVD
- Peur(s) du Noir, dir. by Blutch, Charles Burns, Marie Caillou… (2007) | DVD (French subtitles available)
- The Returned (film), dir. by Romain Campillo (2013) | DVD (English subtitles available)
- Fantôme de l’Opéra – part 1, by Christophe Gaultier | Comic Book
- Trois Ombres, by Cyril Predosa | Comic Book
- La sorcière de la rue Mouffetard, by Pierre Gripari | Children’s Audio Book
- Comment ratatiner les Sorcières ?, by Catherine Leblanc | Children’s Picture Book
- Alex, by Pierre Lemaitre | Novel – Thriller/li>
- Le fantôme de l’Opéra : Niveau B1 | Easy French Book & CD
Our hearts skip a beat for this selection of documents
Our Cinema specialist’s choices
- Retour à Ithaque, dir. by Laurent Cantet, 2014 | DVD (in Spanish with English subtitles
A terrace overlooking Havana. The sun sets. Five friends have gathered to celebrate Amadeo’s return after 16 years of exile. From dusk to dawn, they evoke their youth, the gang that they once were, the many things they went through back then and the faith in the future that gave them their drive.
- Eden, dir. by Mia Hansen-Løve, 2014 | DVD (French subtitles available)
In the 1990s, Paul gets his first taste of the world of Parisian nightlife. Mad about music, he creates a DJ duo, “Cheers,” with his best friend. They rapidly find a fanbase and experience giddy, euphoric, dangerous, and ephemeral success as they rise in the House music world. Caught up in his passion, Paul forgets to construct his life.
Our Children’s Librarian likes
- Le Renard de Morlange, by Alain Surget | Young Readers Novel
- Monsieur Stan n’a qu’a bien se tenir, by Delphine Perret | Picture Book
- Avril le poisson rouge, by Marjolaine Leray | Picture Book
- La Grande Aventure Lego, dir. Chris Mc Kay | DVD (in French or English)
Our Comics specialist says
- Le Chat du Rabbin : Tu nauras pas d’autre Dieu que moi – T.6, by Joann Sfar | Comic Book
- Paul à Québec, by Michel Rabagliati | Comic Book
- Les Vieux Fourneaux – T2, Ceux qui restent, by Loupano & Cauuet | Comic Book
Our Easy French expert recommends
- Books about Barthes, eBooks, 2015.
Our Music expert likes
- J’veux du Souchon et du Voulzy! by Béatrice Pannier, 2015 | Book
- L’aventura, by Sébastien Tellier | 2014 | Elecro – CD
- Slang Tang, by Magma | 2014 | Jazz, CD
Our Literature Librarian loved
- Les ennemis de la vie ordinaire, by Héléna Marienské (Plon,2015) | Novel
- Notre désir est sans remède, by Mathieu Larnaudie (Actes Sud, 2015) | Novel
- Crash-Test, by Marion Guillot (Actes Sud, 2015) | Novel
- Les eaux troubles du mojito : Et autres belles raisons d’habiter sur terre, by Philippe Delerm (Ed. du Seuil, 2015) | Novel
FOCUS : Celebrating the “Grande Guerre” Centenary (1914-2014)
2014 marks 100 years since the start of the First World War.
This year, visit La Mediatheque, to learn about the First World War through the voices, books and pictures of those who were there.
- André Loez et Nicolas Offenstadt, La Grande Guerre : Carnet du centenaire,2013 (Book)
- Antoine Prost La Grande Guerre expliquée en images, , 2013 (Book)
- Paul Jankowski, Verdun : 21 février 1916, 2013 (Book)
- La ligne de front : une aventure rocambolesque de Vincent Van Gogh
- La guerre des Lulus Tome 1 : La maison des enfants trouvés
- La guerre de Charlie Vol 1
OUR ONLINE CATALOGUE AVAILABLE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE
An extension of our online catalogue makes it available for last generation phones and tablets – all platforms including:
Thanks to this extension you can achieve researches and also browse your online account on YOUR Mobile.
Hurry up to discover our mobile friendly catalogue by connecting yourself to it thanks to our mobile.
Discover Culturethèque in picture motion
Experience Culturethèque with our two new videos dedicated to our digital platform, offering more than 10,000 free French content to all UK residents.