From De Beauvoir to Foucault, Rousseau to Sartre, a roundup of les grands penseurs to warm up for the Night of Ideas on 25 Jan
Christophe Charles, La vie intellectuelle en France, Des lendemains de la Révolution à 1914 | Non Fiction Book
Christophe Charles, La vie intellectuelle en France, De 1914 à nos jours | Non Fiction Book
Albert Camus, adapt. by Jacques Fernandez, L’étranger | Comic Book
Audiolib Edition, Rousseau, citoyen du future | Audiobook
Sarah Bakewell, At the Existentialist Café: Freedom, Being, and Apricot Cocktails | Non Fiction Book
Philip Thody, Sartre, A Graphic Guide | Non Fiction Book
Thomas Piketty, Chronicles: On Our Troubled Times | Non fiction Book
Paul Veyne, Foucault, sa pensée, sa personne | eBook – Culturethèque
Thomas Pesquet, Thomas Pesquet : 100 photos pour la liberté de la presse | Non Fiction Book
Voltaire, Candide – niveau B1 | Easy French Audio Book
Philosophie Pratique | Magazine – Culturethèque
Martin Provost, Violette | DVD subtitled in French
Simone de Beauvoir, une femme actuelle, dir. by Dominique Gros | DVD
Stéphane Hessel, À nous de jouer ! : appel aux indignés de cette terre | Non Fiction Book
OUR HEARTS SKIP A BEAT FOR THIS SELECTION OF DOCUMENTS
Our Cinema specialist’s choices
– Swagger, dir. by O. Babinet, 2017 | non fiction DVD (French & English subtitles available)
Swagger takes us into the minds of eleven children and adolescents with amazing personalities, who are growing up within some of France’s most underprivileged housing projects. The film shows us the world through their singular and unexpected gazes, their funny and incisive thoughts. By using a mosaic of encounters and by mixing genres, even musicals and science fiction, Swagger gives life to the words and fantasies of these kids from Aulnay and Sevran.
– Juste la fin du Monde, dir. by X. Dolan, 2016 | DVD (French subtitles available)
After a twelve-year absence, a playwright returns to his hometown planning on announcing his upcoming death to his family. As resentment soon rewrites the course of the afternoon, fits and feuds unfold, fuelled by loneliness and doubt, while all attempts at empathy are sabotaged by people’s incapacity to listen and love.
– Corniche Kennedy, dir. by D. Cabrera | DVD (French & English subtitles available)
Corniche Kennedy. In the blue of the Mediterranean, at the foot of luxurious villas, the young kids of Marseille defy the laws of gravity. Marco, Mehdi, Franck, Mélissa, Hamza, Mamaa, Julie: girls and boys dive, take flight, take risks to experience life to the fullest. Suzanne devours them with her eyes from inside her chic villa. Their free bodies, their excess. She wants to be part of them. She will be part of them.
Our Children’s Librarians like
– Les orteils n’ont pas de nom, by J. ELeroy & M. Maudet | Picture Book
– Robêêrt : mêêmoires, by J-L Fromental | Novel
– Minute papillon !, by G. Doremus| Picture Book
– Océano, by Anouck & Louis Rigaud | Pop-up Book
– Sous ma couverture vit une tortue, by A. Guillerey | Picture Book
– L’Histoire de Miss Kitty, by Q. Blake & B. Potter | Picture Book
Discover our handpicked selection on of the latest Children’s e-book on Culturethèque
Our literature expert recommends
– Le mariage de plaisir, by Tahar Ben Jelloun | Novel (in French)
– L’art de perdre, by A. Zeniter | Novel (in French)
– This Little Art, Kate Briggs & Daniel Hahn discuss translation | Culturetheque’s podcast
Our Music specialist recommends
– Adieu l’Enfance, by La Féline. Published in 2014 by Kwaiden | CD – Pop
– Easy listening : Exotica & autres musiques légères, by E. Pacaud | Non-fiction Book
– Je ne sais pas, by M. Boogaerts | Non fiction book
– Luxe, by Stranded Horse. Published in 2015 by Talitres| CD -Pop
Discover Culturethèque’s extensive music selection! Browse through 68,000 artists from independent labels featured on 1Dtouch, a new fair-trade digital music platform available on Culturethèque, the free digital plateform of the Institut francais.
Our Language Students expert recommends
– French Made Simple: Learn to Speak and Understand French Quickly and Easily: Niveau A | Book
– Arsène Lupin gentleman cambrioleur : Niveau A1 | Book & CD
– 1001 easy french phrases : Niveau A2 | Book & CD
– 50 ways to improve your French : Niveau A2 | Book & CD
– Word Up, le dico de l’argot bilingue, by Maison des langues | Bilingual dictionary
– 20 000 lieues sous les mers : Niveau B1 | Book & CD
– Essential French Grammar : for the sixth form and beyond, Niveau B2 | Grammar book
Brush up your French with hundreds of online language resources on Culturethèque!
Artist in Residence!
In the run up to the 2017 South Ken Kids Festival, French illustrator Edmond Baudoin will be artist in residence at the Institut français! Acting as Ambassador to your beloved festival, the author of Dali, Peau d’Ane, and Méditerranée (among so many others!) will be bringing his inks, paint and brushes to add a touch of French poetry to our newly renovated Médiathèque, as well as holding workshops and running around London to meet young illustrators for a whole week.
To top it all off, this residence will be closing with an extraordinary live drawing session on Wednesday 15 November at 7.00pm.
The Residence is supported by the Friends of the French Institute trust as part of Projet Lumière(s).