Artist in Residence!
In the run up to the 2017 South Ken Kids Festival, French illustrator Edmond Baudoin will be artist in residence at the Institut français! Acting as Ambassador to your beloved festival, the author of Dali, Peau d’Ane, and Méditerranée (among so many others!) will be bringing his inks, paint and brushes to add a touch of French poetry to our newly renovated Médiathèque, as well as holding workshops and running around London to meet young illustrators for a whole week.
To top it all off, this residence will be closing with an extraordinary live drawing session on Wednesday 15 November at 7.00pm (stay tuned for further annoucements)
The Residence is supported by the Friends of the French Institute trust as part of Projet Lumière(s).
Graphic novels come in an array of of genres and styles and can tell any story imaginable — some of which are definitely not for kids.
Valérian et Laureline (1), La cité des eaux mouvantes, by Jean-Claude Mézière & Pierre Christin | Comic Book
also available in English : Valerian and Laureline (1) : The City of Shifting Waters
Dali, by Baudoin | Graphic Novel
La Légèreté, by Catherine Meurisse | Comic Book
Coquelicots d’Irak, by B. Findakly & L. Trondheim | Comic Book
Bon baisers d’Iran, by Lenaïc Vilain | Comic Book
Culottées 2, by Pénélope Bagieu | Comic Book
Le Chat du Rabbin (Tome 6) : Tu n’auras pas d’autre dieu que moi, by Joann Sfar | Comic Book
Par les chemins noirs, by David B. | Comic Book
L’Arabe du Futur, by Riad Sattouf (Fauve d’Or Angoulême 2015) | Graphic Novel
Come Prima, by Alfred (Best Album Prize Angoulême 2014) | Comic Book
Modigliani, Prince de la Bohème, by Laurent Seksik & Fabrice Le Henanff | Graphic Novel
Tokyo Sanpo, by Florent Chavouet | Comic Book
Jacky au Royaume des Filles, dir. by Riad Sattouf (2014) | DVD (French & English subtitles available)
Persepolis, dir. by Marjane Satrapi (2013) | DVD (French & English subtitles available)
The Extraordinary story of Adele Blanc-Sec, dir. by Luc Besson & Jacques Tardi (2011) | DVD (French & English subtitles available)
Access all the Bande Dessinées (in French & English) on Culturethèque now and for free !
Don’t miss a fascinating discussion with the creators of the groundbreaking French sci-fi comic Valerian and Laureline – followed by a screening of Luc Besson’s adaptation Valerian and the City of a Thousand Planets and a Q&A.
OUR HEARTS SKIP A BEAT FOR THIS SELECTION OF DOCUMENTS
Our Cinema specialist’s choices
– Toutes nos envies, dir. by P. Lioret, 2016 | DVD (French subtitles available)
Claire, a young judge at the Lyons courts, encounters Stéphane, an experienced judge, who she drags into her fight against excessive debt. Something forms between them, in which revolt and feelings mingle, and above all the urgent need to live them.
– L’Odysée, dir. by J. Salle, 2016 | DVD (French subtitles available)
1948. Jacques-Yves Cousteau, his wife, and his two sons, live in paradise, in a beautiful house looking out over the Mediterranean Sea. But Cousteau dreams only adventure. Thanks to his invention, an autonomous diving suit that allows him to breathe underwater, he has discovered a new world. Henceforth, he will explore this world. And he’s prepared to sacrifice everything to do so.
Our Children’s Librarians like
–Yasuke, by Frédéric Marais | Picture Books
– Un si terrible secret, by Evelyn Brisou-Pellen | Teens’ Novel
– Mercredi, by Anne Bertier | Picture Book
– Océano, by Anouck & Louis Rigaud | Pop-up Book
– Comptines pour Compter, by C. Hudrisier | Audio Book
Discover our handpicked selection on of the latest Children’s e-book on Culturethèque
Our Music expert recommends
– Le rock à l’endroit : Une histoire des lieux du rock en France, by Christophe Deniau | Non-Fiction Book
– Ibifornia, by Cassius, 2016 | CD- Electro
– Mammifères, by Christophe Miossec, 2016 | CD – Chanson française
– Doni doni, by Erik Truffaz Quartet. Foufino productions, 2016 | CD – Jazz
– Fearless, by Marian Kaye.Capitol, 2015 | CD- Pop
Our Comic book specialist says
– La Légèreté, by Catherine Meurisse | Comic Book
– Coquelicots d’Irak, by B. Findakly & L. Trondheim | Comic Book
– Bon baisers d’Iran, by Lenaïc Vilain | Comic Book
– Culottées 2, by Pénélope Bagieu | Comic Book
– Le Chat du Rabbin (Tome 6) : Tu n’auras pas d’autre dieu que moi, by Joann Sfar | Comic Book
– Par les chemins noirs, by David B. | Comic Book
– Jour J (27) : Les ombres de Constantinople, by Fred Duval & Jean-Pierre Pécau | Comic Book
Discover our range of activities for Kids and find the one that suits you best : here
FOCUS : Celebrating the “Grande Guerre” Centenary (1914-2014)
2014 marks 100 years since the start of the First World War.
This year, visit La Mediatheque, to learn about the First World War through the voices, books and pictures of those who were there.
- André Loez et Nicolas Offenstadt, La Grande Guerre : Carnet du centenaire,2013 (Book)
- Antoine Prost La Grande Guerre expliquée en images, , 2013 (Book)
- Paul Jankowski, Verdun : 21 février 1916, 2013 (Book)
- La ligne de front : une aventure rocambolesque de Vincent Van Gogh
- La guerre des Lulus Tome 1 : La maison des enfants trouvés
- La guerre de Charlie Vol 1
OUR ONLINE CATALOGUE AVAILABLE ON YOUR SMARTPHONE
An extension of our online catalogue makes it available for last generation phones and tablets – all platforms including:
Thanks to this extension you can achieve researches and also browse your online account on YOUR Mobile.
Hurry up to discover our mobile friendly catalogue by connecting yourself to it thanks to our mobile.
Discover Culturethèque in picture motion
Experience Culturethèque with our two new videos dedicated to our digital platform, offering more than 10,000 free French content to all UK residents.