The Institut français reopens on 26 August and hire opportunities will gradually resume from then on.
Stay tuned for our next updates.
Institut français is situated in the heart of South Kensington, one of the most fashionable locations in London, a stone’s throw from the V&A, Natural History
Museum and South Kensington tube station. Its stylish art deco premises makes an original venue for a conference,
party or annual meeting.
The Institut français, a Grade ll listed art deco building, was designed by French architect Patrice Bonnet and inaugurated in 1939. Its intricately decorated façade and monumental proportions give the building a strong presence in the architectural environment. The interior is as impressive as the exterior: a sweeping marble staircase, decorated with the famous Rodin statue L’Age d’Airain and an original tapestry by Sonia Delaunay, leads from a large ground-floor foyer area to a beautiful listed library and a stunning state-of-the-art cinema on the first floor.
With very different spaces available, the Institut can accommodate functions with a cultural focus, from large-scale parties to small group events. It also provides a stunning backdrop for filming and photoshoots.
*Please note that private events such as birthday or wedding parties cannot be hosted at the venue.
Newly-refurbished, Ciné lumière is a unique space which lends itself to a range of opportunities for private hire.
With a spacious auditorium of 229 seats and a good-sized stage for presentations, Ciné lumière is the ideal space for a private film screening, press launch, corporate meeting, conference, photo shoot or fashion show. With a new 4K HD Digital Cinema Projector, and a team experienced in handling high profile events, it is the perfect cinema for gala screenings. Adjoining spaces ‘Les Salons’, ‘Art Deco Listed Library’ and ‘Le Foyer’ available for hire mean that it is easy to combine your event with a party, drinks reception or dinner
Private screenings / conferences / live events at Ciné Lumière from £500/h
• Capacity | 229 seats plus 2 wheelchair positions
• Stage Size | 4m x 8m
• Stage Lighting | Permanent installation (20 channels). Additional channels available
• Auditorium Lighting | Tungsten downlights, dimmable
• Ventilation | Air conditioned
• Access | Stairs and public lift, disabled access
• Furniture | Tables, chairs and lectern
• Film Projector | 35mm Kinoton Projector
• Digital Projector | 4K, Inputs for DVD, Beta SP and laptops
• Aspect Ratios | 1.33 (Academy), 1.66 and 1.85 (widescreen), 2.35 (cinemascope)
• Screen | Perforated front projection screen with variable side, top and bottom masking, Maximum size: 8.0 x 3.5 meters
• Sound | Dolby SRD, supports all popular formats including SRD, SR, Dolby A, Mono. System consists of Audio Management power amplifiers. Mixing Desk, microphone lines from stage and auditorium
• Steinway 3/4 Grand Piano | Ask for conditions
Ciné Lumière II
Stylish, cosy and intimate, Ciné Lumière II offers an ideal setting and a unique cinematic experience to enjoy independent cinema and alternative contents. Located in the lower ground floor of the Grade II listed building of the Institut français, Ciné Lumière II provides a high level of comfort, state-of-the-art technology and an inspiring setting, boasting an Art Deco style with a contemporary twist, geometric forms, warm materials, and a bold palette of colours.
Ciné Lumière II and its adjacent lounge area is also available for corporate and private hire, providing a perfect all-in-one backdrop for daytime and evening events.
£350/h with a minimum of 2 hours
• Screen: 3,7 m wide.
• Projection: Digital 2K and 35 mm. Satellite live broadcast, DCP, Blu ray, fully automated.
• Sound System: 5.1 surround Dolby.
• Seats: Gold Club BR Seat. French manufacturer Quinette Gallay have been manufacturing cinema and theatre seating for over 70 years.
• Venue: Sound and lighting system to host conference.
• Audio description system.
Les Salons is suitable for lectures, talks, meetings and presentations. Dinners, parties and any small group event with a cultural focus are also possible. The room can accommodate up to 80 people (or 60 people seated).
Grand piano available | Ask for conditions
No extra fee will be charged for the use of the in house equipment. Extra staff requirement (security, cloakroom, attendant…) or equipment and furniture hire are available upon request.
* Please note that private events such as birthday or wedding parties cannot be hosted at the venue
Hire Charges from £160/h, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org
Art Deco Listed Library
An attractive wood panelled room with balcony, intricate parquet floor and plenty of natural light, the Art Deco Listed Library‘s distinctive art deco reading room would make an elegant and impressive setting for a lecture or a talk. The Art Deco Listed Library can accommodate 80 people; due to library opening hours, the room is available after 7.30pm Tuesday to Saturday, Mondays and Sundays all day.
Conferences / live events at the Art Deco Listed Library from £400/h
Weekend slots: contact us to get a quote
With its sweeping marble staircase and large capacity, Le Foyer makes for a flexible and dramatic party space, easily accommodating over 300 guests.
Availability according to cinema screening times.
Special rates available with the hire of the cinema.
Hire Charges from £500/h, please contact us at email@example.com
La Salle Baudoin
With great natural lighting, and decorated by a mural painting from French artist Baudoin, this 35 sqm room is perfect for your meetings, small conferences or seminars.
Perfect room to host meetings or workshops, Le Studio has its own equipped convivial space (50 sqm).
*The hire charges set out above are effective from 01.12.2009. Accommodation hire fees are exempt from VAT. The hire charge includes the equipment mentioned in the description; furniture hire is available upon request. Staff costs are included (except security, cloakroom, attendant, receptionist which are extra).
Institut français, 17 Queensberry Place London SW7 2DT
Tube: South Kensington (Zone 1: Circle, District & Piccadilly Lines)
Bus: 414, 14, 74, 430, 49, C1, 70, 360, 345
Parking: The Institut français has no carpark of its own; the closest carpark is Union Carpark at 31 Harrington Road